Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Permlink Replies: 9 - Last Post: Apr 23, 2015 7:08 AM Last Post By: Dan Barclay
Valgarður Guðjó...

Registered: 4/3/09
Xe8 backward compatibility
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
In case I use Xe8 to open a Xe2 / Xe5 project (from another developer), make some minor changes and save.. can the project be opened and compiled in Xe2 / Xe5?
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Registered: 12/23/01
Re: Xe8 backward compatibility
Valgarður wrote:

In case I use Xe8 to open a Xe2 / Xe5 project

Don't do that. Always create a new project and add your existing source
files to it as needed.

make some minor changes and save.. can the project be opened
and compiled in Xe2 / Xe5?

No. Projects are not backwards compatible.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Christopher Burke

Registered: 9/25/99
Re: Xe8 backward compatibility
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) <no dot spam at no dot spam dot com> wrote in news:721086
@forums.embarcadero.com:

Valgarður wrote:

In case I use Xe8 to open a Xe2 / Xe5 project

Don't do that. Always create a new project and add your existing source
files to it as needed.

Isn't there meant to be a funky feature that was advertised in XE8
specifically for importing old projects ?

YEP - here it is:

New in XE8! Configuration settings migration tool, to migrate
configurations of older versions of the product to a newer version, or
between different installations of the same version
Dan Barclay

Registered: 11/9/03

Valgarður wrote:

In case I use Xe8 to open a Xe2 / Xe5 project

Don't do that. Always create a new project and add your existing source
files to it as needed.

Isn't there meant to be a funky feature that was advertised in XE8
specifically for importing old projects ?

YEP - here it is:

New in XE8! Configuration settings migration tool, to migrate
configurations of older versions of the product to a newer version, or
between different installations of the same version

The original post asked if that project could still be used in XE2/XE5. No.

As with other transitions, you may be able to use individual source (.pas) files. Project files, not likely (I know it won't work on previous Delphi versions, haven't tried XE8). May or may not work with other serialized files (dfm and such).

Create a new project with "converted" files, save the original project, see which "changed" source will go back to the old version by trying it.

Dan
Christopher Burke

Registered: 9/25/99
Dan Barclay <> wrote in news:721107 at forums dot embarcadero dot com:

The original post asked if that project could still be used in
XE2/XE5. No.

I was attributing more to the 'new feature' than it had sorry.
David Millington

Registered: 5/29/05
Christopher Burke wrote:
Isn't there meant to be a funky feature that was advertised in XE8
specifically for importing old projects ?

New in XE8! Configuration settings migration tool, to migrate
configurations of older versions of the product to a newer version, or
between different installations of the same version

Afaik that's for the IDE itself (its settings and configuration) not for importing old projects.

You can open projects (.dproj etc) made in older versions in newer versions, although often it's wiser to create a new .dproj for the new version. However, going the other way (XE8 .dproj in XE2) may not work at all. Neither of those are to do with the configuration settings migration tool, though, which migrates things like (say) your colour scheme or other IDE settings.
Valgarður Guðjó...

Registered: 4/3/09
Re: Xe8 backward compatibility
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks for the replies.. the project file itself is not a problem, but the .pas, .dfm would be. I have been working with XE2 and XE5 on the same projects.

So I probably need to wait until everyone is ready to upgrade..
Dan Barclay

Registered: 11/9/03
Valgarður Guðjónsson wrote:
Thanks for the replies.. the project file itself is not a problem, but the .pas, .dfm would be. I have been working with XE2 and XE5 on the same projects.

So I probably need to wait until everyone is ready to upgrade..
FWIW, we keep a library of "project common" files in Subversion. Different Delphi versions have their own library directories, but they are all managed by the same SVN project.

We have found that if you're careful you can share pas and dfm files. In rare occasion you'll need an {ifdef VERnnn} block but otherwise basic source is pretty much unmolested.

Using a version management system like SVN pointing a common project at the competing directories helps maintain common libs.

Dan
Valgarður Guðjó...

Registered: 4/3/09
Re: Xe8 backward compatibility
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks, yes that is probably the safest way.. although I expect most of my colleagues to upgrade in a few months, just concerned whether I should wait until everyone is ready..

But I really want to avoid version specific compiler directives.
Dan Barclay

Registered: 11/9/03
Re: Xe8 backward compatibility
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Valgarður Guðjónsson wrote:
Thanks, yes that is probably the safest way.. although I expect most of my colleagues to upgrade in a few months, just concerned whether I should wait until everyone is ready..

But I really want to avoid version specific compiler directives.
You probably won't need version specific directives, it's just that they're available if you want.

We use them to block our own features that we just didn't want to implement/test in the previous version. That mainly occurs when we don't want to push/update 3rd party components for the previous version.

Dan
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)