Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 14 - Last Post: Dec 1, 2016 7:28 AM Last Post By: Antonio Estevez
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 12:57 AM
Hi

I'm running out of SSD space fast using my new Berlin 10.1, even the smallest
possible 32bit VCL application takes up more then 100MB !!! :-( :-( :-(

So, I need to clean up and my question is:
which of these file types can safely be deleted without damaging the project ?

.d
.dex
.ilc
.ild
.ilf
.ils
.map
.o
.obj
.pch
.pdi
.so
.tds

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Asger
Antonio Estevez

Posts: 665
Registered: 4/12/00
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 1:11 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
El 01/12/2016 a las 9:57, Asger Joergensen escribió:
Hi

I'm running out of SSD space fast, even the smallest possible 32bit VCL application takes up more then 100MB !!! :-( :-( :-(

So, I need to clean up and my question is: which of these file types can safely be deleted without damaging the project ?

.d
.dex
.ilc
.ild
.ilf
.ils
.map
.o
.obj
.pch
.pdi
.so
.tds

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Asger

Yes, they are all temporary files. But then the next compile/link
process will be slower.

The IDE can delete them:
Right click in the Project Manager and select the "Clean" option.

That command deletes the temporary files from the folder of the
Platform/Config active in this moment
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 1:35 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Hi Antonio

Thanks for your answer

Antonio Estevez wrote:

Yes, they are all temporary files. But then the next compile/link
process will be slower.

The IDE can delete them:
Right click in the Project Manager and select the "Clean" option.

That command deletes the temporary files from the folder of the
Platform/Config active in this moment

Unfortunately that isn't working either, that function only delete the contents of the
debug folder in the currently selected target platform, everything else is left on the
disk. If they had been thinking at Embarcadero, they would have made a function
that could delete temp files from all the other target platforms, but currently selected
and there would have been an option to not delete the exe files.

And the function is only available if I right click directly on the project name.

But I got my answer, thanks. :-)

Best regards
Asger
Johannes Weinert

Posts: 90
Registered: 7/19/02
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 2:23 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
Hi Asger,

Am 01.12.2016 um 10:35 schrieb Asger Joergensen:
[...]

The IDE can delete them:
Right click in the Project Manager and select the "Clean" option.

That command deletes the temporary files from the folder of the
Platform/Config active in this moment

Unfortunately that isn't working either, that function only delete the contents of the
debug folder in the currently selected target platform, everything else is left on the
disk. If they had been thinking at Embarcadero, they would have made a function
that could delete temp files from all the other target platforms, but currently selected
and there would have been an option to not delete the exe files.

And the function is only available if I right click directly on the project name.

some of your wishes are possible with a little (one-time) work: You
could create a project group file for your project. Then add a build
group configured for all required configurations. On the build group you
can perform the actions make/build/clean. The active build configuration
is not touched by using the build group.

I personally use three build groups: (1) debug, (2) release, (3)
debug+release to perform one of the actions on either debug, release or
both configurations. You could setup build groups per configuration or
platforms or combination of both.

Just in case: the build groups are displayed below the project manager
with a click on the project manager button next to the "Sort all
projects" button.

HTH

Hans
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 2:38 AM   in response to: Johannes Weinert in response to: Johannes Weinert
Hi Johannes

Johannes Weinert wrote:

Hi Asger,

some of your wishes are possible with a little (one-time) work: You
could create a project group file for your project. Then add a build
group configured for all required configurations. On the build group you
can perform the actions make/build/clean. The active build configuration
is not touched by using the build group.

I'll have to look into that, but that will still delete the exe files
as well, right ?

I personally use three build groups: (1) debug, (2) release, (3)
debug+release to perform one of the actions on either debug, release or
both configurations. You could setup build groups per configuration or
platforms or combination of both.

Do you make new ones for every new project or can they be saved and reused ?

Just in case: the build groups are displayed below the project manager
with a click on the project manager button next to the "Sort all
projects" button.

Found it :-)

Thanks for helping
Best regards
Asger
Johannes Weinert

Posts: 90
Registered: 7/19/02
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 5:54 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
Hi Asger,

Am 01.12.2016 um 11:38 schrieb Asger Joergensen:
Hi Johannes

Johannes Weinert wrote:

some of your wishes are possible with a little (one-time) work: You
could create a project group file for your project. Then add a build
group configured for all required configurations. On the build group you
can perform the actions make/build/clean. The active build configuration
is not touched by using the build group.

I'll have to look into that, but that will still delete the exe files
as well, right ?

Yes, that's what I meant by saying "some of the wishes". I sometimes
have the need for "link only", so on option to delete only the output
file(s) (EXE/LIB/DLL) would also be nice.

I personally use three build groups: (1) debug, (2) release, (3)
debug+release to perform one of the actions on either debug, release or
both configurations. You could setup build groups per configuration or
platforms or combination of both.

Do you make new ones for every new project or can they be saved and reused ?

I don't think that they can be re-used. But the information is stored in
the project group (which is just XML). If you include several projects
into one project group you can make a build group which contains more
than one project.

Regards

Hans
Jan Dijkstra

Posts: 206
Registered: 11/4/99
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 1:50 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
Asger Joergensen wrote:
Hi

I'm running out of SSD space fast using my new Berlin 10.1, even the smallest
possible 32bit VCL application takes up more then 100MB !!! :-( :-( :-(

So, I need to clean up and my question is:
which of these file types can safely be deleted without damaging the project ?

.d
.dex
.ilc
.ild
.ilf
.ils
.map
.o
.obj
.pch
.pdi
.so
.tds

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Asger

You can suppress the generation of the .i* files by disabling incremental linking. Likewise for the .map file. Disable generating the map file, and it will no longer be created. The .tds file contains the debug information. I think it's no longer generated if you disable the full debug information option. The .pch file is for pre compiled headers. Disable that, and it will no longer be used/created
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 3:34 AM   in response to: Jan Dijkstra in response to: Jan Dijkstra
Hi Jan

Jan Dijkstra wrote:


You can suppress the generation of the .i* files by disabling incremental
linking. Likewise for the .map file. Disable generating the map file, and it
will no longer be created. The .tds file contains the debug information. I
think it's no longer generated if you disable the full debug information
option. The .pch file is for pre compiled headers. Disable that, and it will
no longer be used/created

But that will effect the compile/build speed when I'm working and do small
changes right ?

The laargest file of them all is the .so file and Embarcadero even put
exactly the same HUGE file in two places, yes right the exact same file
is stored i two different places:

Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\debug\libClBluetoothCpp.so (86,129,160 bytes)
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\libClBluetoothCpp.so (86,129,160 bytes)

Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\library\lib\armeabi-v7a\libClBluetoothCpp.so
the last one is "only" 24MB

Thanks for helping
Best regards
Asger
Jan Dijkstra

Posts: 206
Registered: 11/4/99
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 3:45 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
Asger Joergensen wrote:
Hi Jan

Jan Dijkstra wrote:


You can suppress the generation of the .i* files by disabling incremental
linking. Likewise for the .map file. Disable generating the map file, and it
will no longer be created. The .tds file contains the debug information. I
think it's no longer generated if you disable the full debug information
option. The .pch file is for pre compiled headers. Disable that, and it will
no longer be used/created

But that will effect the compile/build speed when I'm working and do small
changes right ?

The laargest file of them all is the .so file and Embarcadero even put
exactly the same HUGE file in two places, yes right the exact same file
is stored i two different places:

Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\debug\libClBluetoothCpp.so (86,129,160 bytes)
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\libClBluetoothCpp.so (86,129,160 bytes)

Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\library\lib\armeabi-v7a\libClBluetoothCpp.so
the last one is "only" 24MB

Thanks for helping
Best regards
Asger

Yes, it makes compile/link times a bit worse.

However, over the years I have had issues with incremental link in every version of the compiler I ever owned, so that's always the first thing I disable in every project anyway.

I have also ran into issues with precompiled headers, especially on bigger, more complex projects. So that too is now disabled for each and every project I create.

With those two options disabled, that saves me countless megabyes of disk space per project as both file sets tend to bloat up.

As for library sizes. I'm using packages, and using them a lot. That "converts" a 43 MB .lib file (VCL 32 bit, static link) into a much more pleasant 1 MB .bpl + 4.5 MB .tds file set.
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 6:09 AM   in response to: Jan Dijkstra in response to: Jan Dijkstra
Hi Jan

Jan Dijkstra wrote:


Yes, it makes compile/link times a bit worse.

However, over the years I have had issues with incremental link in every
version of the compiler I ever owned, so that's always the first thing I
disable in every project anyway.

I have also ran into issues with precompiled headers, especially on bigger,
more complex projects. So that too is now disabled for each and every project
I create.

With those two options disabled, that saves me countless megabyes of disk
space per project as both file sets tend to bloat up.

How do you set them up ?


As for library sizes. I'm using packages, and using them a lot. That
"converts" a 43 MB .lib file (VCL 32 bit, static link) into a much more
pleasant 1 MB .bpl + 4.5 MB .tds file set.

How do you know which files to destribute with your programs ?

Thanks for helping
Best regards
Asger
Antonio Estevez

Posts: 665
Registered: 4/12/00
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 3:55 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
El 01/12/2016 a las 12:34, Asger Joergensen escribió:
Hi Jan

Jan Dijkstra wrote:


You can suppress the generation of the .i* files by disabling incremental
linking. Likewise for the .map file. Disable generating the map file, and it
will no longer be created. The .tds file contains the debug information. I
think it's no longer generated if you disable the full debug information
option. The .pch file is for pre compiled headers. Disable that, and it will
no longer be used/created

But that will effect the compile/build speed when I'm working and do small
changes right ?

The laargest file of them all is the .so file and Embarcadero even put
exactly the same HUGE file in two places, yes right the exact same file
is stored i two different places:

Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\debug\libClBluetoothCpp.so (86,129,160 bytes)
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\libClBluetoothCpp.so (86,129,160 bytes)

Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\library\lib\armeabi-v7a\libClBluetoothCpp.so
the last one is "only" 24MB

Thanks for helping
Best regards
Asger

The .so is the Android library (equivalent to a Windows dll) which
contains your application.
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 4:31 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Hi Antonio

Antonio Estevez wrote:

El 01/12/2016 a las 12:34, Asger Joergensen escribió:

The .so is the Android library (equivalent to a Windows dll) which
contains your application.

Ok that is like the stand alone exe on windows (I need them), but the
app takes up 38MB of space on my android phone, so it cant be the two
big ones that are used for that ?

Anyway two of exactly the same file, that overkill. I have checked
the files with md5 hash and they are exactly the same.

Thanks for explaining
Best regards
Asger
Antonio Estevez

Posts: 665
Registered: 4/12/00
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 4:59 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
El 01/12/2016 a las 13:31, Asger Joergensen escribió:
Hi Antonio

Antonio Estevez wrote:

El 01/12/2016 a las 12:34, Asger Joergensen escribió:

The .so is the Android library (equivalent to a Windows dll) which
contains your application.

Ok that is like the stand alone exe on windows (I need them),

Not really.

You should have a file in the folder
"Android\$(Config)" (where $(Config) is debug or release)
that is the one the linker generates.

Other in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\debug"

And other in each of the subfolders in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\library\lib"

The "Android\$(Config)\Project_Name" folder is used by the Android SDK
utilities to create the .apk file that is deployed to the device.

The apk file is stored in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\bin"

but the app takes up 38MB of space on my android phone, so it cant
be the two big ones that are used for that ?

Anyway two of exactly the same file, that overkill. I have checked
the files with md5 hash and they are exactly the same.

Thanks for explaining
Best regards
Asger
Asger Joergensen

Posts: 370
Registered: 11/18/08
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ? [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 5:49 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Hi Antonio

Antonio Estevez wrote:

Not really.

You should have a file in the folder
"Android\$(Config)" (where $(Config) is debug or release)
that is the one the linker generates.

Other in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\debug"

And other in each of the subfolders in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\library\lib"

The "Android\$(Config)\Project_Name" folder is used by the Android SDK
utilities to create the .apk file that is deployed to the device.

The apk file is stored in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\bin"

I have removed the \$(Config) part of my output path, that alone cut the disk
usage of windows files by half.

So as I understand you, these three .so files are needed
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\library\lib\armeabi-v7a\libClBluetoothCpp.so (24 MB)
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\library\lib\mips\libClBluetoothCpp.so (71KB)
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\library\lib\armeabi\libClBluetoothCpp.so (26KB)

Whereas these two are not needed for deploiment.
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\libClBluetoothCpp.so (84 MB)
Classic Bluetooth Basic App\Android\ClBluetoothCpp\debug\libClBluetoothCpp.so (84 MB)

Did a little testing, the debug one, can be deleted without trouble, but deleting
the other one, will make the old lady complain and she is not satisfied untill a
new build is done.
It is the same scenarion for both debug and release builds, the HUGE file is
different though, but in both cases the file is dublicated into \debug\.

Thanks for explaining
Best regards
Asger
Antonio Estevez

Posts: 665
Registered: 4/12/00
Re: Can all these files be safely deleted from the project folder ? [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 1, 2016 7:28 AM   in response to: Asger Joergensen in response to: Asger Joergensen
El 01/12/2016 a las 14:49, Asger Joergensen escribió:
Hi Antonio

Antonio Estevez wrote:

Not really.

You should have a file in the folder
"Android\$(Config)" (where $(Config) is debug or release)
that is the one the linker generates.

Other in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\debug"

And other in each of the subfolders in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\library\lib"

The "Android\$(Config)\Project_Name" folder is used by the Android SDK
utilities to create the .apk file that is deployed to the device.

The apk file is stored in
"Android\$(Config)\Project_Name\bin"

I have removed the \$(Config) part of my output path, that alone cut the disk
usage of windows files by half.

That's not a good idea. If you are not careful you will end up mixing
files compiled for each configuration
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02