Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Feb 9, 2015 9:11 AM Last Post By: Lou Feliz
Peter Kane

Registered: 5/18/00
This nice new IDE
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
WARNING to Nick Hodges: Please anchor yourself securely before reading any further. I’d hate for you to injure yourself by falling from your chair.

After a very long time, I have finally begun to get to grips with Unicode, sufficiently for me to begin to migrate from Delphi7 to... Delphi 2010. Well, its start. And now that I’ve started to use it I must admit I actually prefer Delphi 2010 to Delphi 7 ! (Klunk – there goes NH). Well my mum always said I was a late developer.

Just in case there’s anyone else out there for whom Unicode is still a barrier, I found the papers by Marco Cantu, Nick Hodges, Cary Jenson and others to be essential reading (four or five times). Having done that, the thing that really helped me to leave ansi behind was a peek at the Strings Unit. My D7 code includes an awful lot of parsing and ReadLn; the Strings stuff showed me the way forward.

One area that I anticipated loads of problems was streaming ( I have some quite complicated custom streaming of nested components , including third-part stuff for which I have no source). It all went very smoothly. Things like that don’t happen by chance; whoever designed Delphi streaming mechanisms was a real star.

PK
David Keith

Registered: 12/10/99
Re: This nice new IDE
On 2/3/2015 12:24 PM, Peter Kane wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the dark side (spoken in my best Darth Vader)...
David Erbas-White

Registered: 10/11/99
Re: This nice new IDE
On 2/3/2015 9:51 AM, David Keith wrote:

Welcome to the dark side (spoken in my best Darth Vader)...

That's all well and good, but if you're going to tell him that you're
his father, please give us all fair warning...

David Erbas-White
Nick Hodges

Registered: 9/22/99
Re: This nice new IDE
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Peter Kane wrote:

(Klunk – there goes NH)

Yep, you were right -- luckily I was holding on tight. ;-)

--
Nick
Delphi Programming is Fun

Registered: 8/9/07
Re: This nice new IDE
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I would probably join you on the dark side if I could bring all my Crystal Reports, ZipForge, Blowfish etc etc with me without rewriting the whole lot.

Sadly not likely to happen.

Peter Kane wrote:
[...]

Lou Feliz

Registered: 7/16/97
Re: This nice new IDE
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Welcome :)

I hvae been using D2010/XE for a while now and find that its time to finally
find a way to go XE7 just to get access to REST units. Have been
frustrated with RESTful API stuff in my D2010 apps.

Delphi is like a drug, you just cant quit it!

-Lou

<Peter Kane> wrote in message news:712751 at forums dot embarcadero dot com...
[...]

david hoke

Registered: 2/9/07
Re: This nice new IDE
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
"Lou Feliz" <lou at feliz dot net> wrote in message
news:713321 at forums dot embarcadero dot com...
Welcome :)

I hvae been using D2010/XE for a while now and find that its time to
finally find a way to go XE7 just to get access to REST units. Have been
frustrated with RESTful API stuff in my D2010 apps.

There might be alternatives to upgrading, if that's all you're after....
Have you searched?
(https://github.com/fabriciocolombo/delphi-rest-client-api)
Lou Feliz

Registered: 7/16/97
Re: This nice new IDE
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I will give that a look. Does not mention D2010, but D7 and XE are good
signs it may work. Also need to look at https support (I am looking at
single signon provider that has REST API for an Intraweb application)

Cheers!

- Lou

"david hoke" <dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote in message
news:713331 at forums dot embarcadero dot com...
[...]

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02