Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jan 8, 2016 2:04 AM Last Post By: Bernd Maierhofer
Flavio Basile

Registered: 2/17/11
Out of Memory
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi All.

I have developed a Win32 Application (VCL) for a Point of Sale.
This application was developed 2 years ago and it's installed in many PC.

There is a PC with Win7, where often there is a "Out of Memory" error.
I have checked my code row by row.
I have created a new application whit a single unit that contains all the business logic to have a lite application, but the problem isn't solved.

My question:
there is a way to understant where and why we have this error?
An "Out of memory" error is an error of my application or a Windows error?

Thanks,
Flavio
Alex Belo

Registered: 10/8/06
Re: Out of Memory
Flavio Basile wrote:

I have developed a Win32 Application (VCL) for a Point of Sale.
This application was developed 2 years ago and it's installed in many
PC.

What is studio version?

there is a way to understant where and why we have this error?

Use FastMM in full debug mode or madExcept leaks detector to find
memory/resource leaks.

Do you have out of memory after many hours of work? It can be memory
fragmentation issue (not so probable with FastMM but...).

Do you use big offscreen bitmaps? If so set pixel format to something
different than default pfDevice: all programs in OS use single GDI
buffer which is very limited (16 Mb or so).

--
Alex
John Treder

Registered: 8/2/02
Re: Out of Memory
Flavio Basile wrote:

Hi All.

I have developed a Win32 Application (VCL) for a Point of Sale.
This application was developed 2 years ago and it's installed in many PC.

There is a PC with Win7, where often there is a "Out of Memory" error.
I have checked my code row by row.
I have created a new application whit a single unit that contains all the business logic to have a lite application, but the problem isn't solved.

My question:
there is a way to understant where and why we have this error?
An "Out of memory" error is an error of my application or a Windows error?

Thanks,
Flavio

That is usually an error in your application. The usual error is a loop that doesn't terminate, often because a test inside the loop has an improper parameter.
I've had the problem about a zillion times.
If you have MadExcept, you can usually catch the problem in a stack dump.

--
nhoJ
Flavio Basile

Registered: 2/17/11
Re: Out of Memory
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi guys, thanks for yours.

I have used FastMM and I found a couple of memory leaks; I hav solved this and updated my clients.
I'll wait if problems are solved or not.

Thanks again.

Flavio

Flavio Basile wrote:
Hi All.

I have developed a Win32 Application (VCL) for a Point of Sale.
This application was developed 2 years ago and it's installed in many PC.

There is a PC with Win7, where often there is a "Out of Memory" error.
I have checked my code row by row.
I have created a new application whit a single unit that contains all the business logic to have a lite application, but the problem isn't solved.

My question:
there is a way to understant where and why we have this error?
An "Out of memory" error is an error of my application or a Windows error?

Thanks,
Flavio
Bernd Maierhofer

Registered: 9/27/99
Re: Out of Memory
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you have the BDE in use, I remeber causing the BDE such issues.

Bernd

"Flavio Basile" wrote in message news:711588 at forums dot embarcadero dot com...

Hi All.

I have developed a Win32 Application (VCL) for a Point of Sale.
This application was developed 2 years ago and it's installed in many PC.

There is a PC with Win7, where often there is a "Out of Memory" error.
I have checked my code row by row.
I have created a new application whit a single unit that contains all the
business logic to have a lite application, but the problem isn't solved.

My question:
there is a way to understant where and why we have this error?
An "Out of memory" error is an error of my application or a Windows error?

Thanks,
Flavio
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)