Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"



Permlink Replies: 15 - Last Post: Aug 6, 2017 3:05 AM Last Post By: Gian Mario Bene...
steven chesser

Posts: 401
Registered: 4/13/09
iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 1, 2016 8:05 PM
Using Berlin 10.1 Update 1

Updated my old iPhone 5 device to latest iOS.

So to deploy to it needed to go to 8.1 Xcode.

I can deploy to my phone ... build ADHoc IPA files. Seems fine there.

But now can't use the simulator.

I had cleared all the iOS related SDKs and imported them all with out errors.

Rebooted Mac, thus restarted PA Server.

Gotta wait for Berlin update? or workaround? or just kinda boned for now?
steven chesser

Posts: 401
Registered: 4/13/09
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 2, 2016 3:14 PM   in response to: steven chesser in response to: steven chesser
If anyone is having this... I got around this sorta.

I build the .app file like normal. I get the "Session Ended" error.

I then in a terminal on the Mac system, i go to the folder where the .app file is

and run this command

xcrun simctl install booted yourappname.app

It installs it to the booted / running simulator

So far this works. Can't debug... but at least it is something for now.
Igor Grubyi

Posts: 1
Registered: 8/5/16
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 3, 2016 4:40 AM   in response to: steven chesser in response to: steven chesser
I have the same problem: I can't run the app on the simulator after install xcode 8.1. Error: 'Class linkage error..'
(XCode 8.1, Delphi - 10.1 Berlin, PAServer - 18.0)

Edited by: Igor Grubyi on Nov 3, 2016 4:47 AM
steven chesser

Posts: 401
Registered: 4/13/09
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 3, 2016 7:52 AM   in response to: Igor Grubyi in response to: Igor Grubyi
Igor Grubyi wrote:
I have the same problem: I can't run the app on the simulator after install xcode 8.1. Error: 'Class linkage error..'
(XCode 8.1, Delphi - 10.1 Berlin, PAServer - 18.0)

I removed all the imported SDK's ... then made sure to delete folders on my windows machine.

Then reimported all the SDKs. This got me to the point of "Session Ended" and doing my above command line to push it over.
Zdzislaw Sroczy...

Posts: 1
Registered: 8/17/04
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 3, 2016 10:57 AM   in response to: steven chesser in response to: steven chesser
steven chesser wrote:
Using Berlin 10.1 Update 1

Updated my old iPhone 5 device to latest iOS.

So to deploy to it needed to go to 8.1 Xcode.

I can deploy to my phone ... build ADHoc IPA files. Seems fine there.

But now can't use the simulator.

I had cleared all the iOS related SDKs and imported them all with out errors.

Rebooted Mac, thus restarted PA Server.

Gotta wait for Berlin update? or workaround? or just kinda boned for now?

You can stay with xcode 8, follow the workaround http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40226874/ios-10-1-and-xcode-8-issue
You can extract ios 10.1 support files from xcode 8.1 if you are afraid to download it from the link above, than put it into xcode 8.
To open xcode, please "right-click" it and choose "show package contents". The paths to find needed files, look into the link above.

Regards
Zdzislaw
Martin Searancke

Posts: 53
Registered: 11/22/02
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 14, 2016 6:37 PM   in response to: Zdzislaw Sroczy... in response to: Zdzislaw Sroczy...
I am having this issue also but was surprised at how little reference to this problem I could find with a google search.
Has the problem been reported to Embarcadero?

Is XCode 8.1 officially supported by Rad Studio or are we waiting on update 2?

One of the symptoms of this problem is that the "Target" list will not refresh in the IDE for the Simulator. I just get the default list of (iPad, iPhone, iPhone 5).

I feel that every time I open my iOS projects (still mostly working in VCL) I have to hope and prey that things will work.

Martin

--
Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions
http://www.lightfactory.net
steven chesser

Posts: 401
Registered: 4/13/09
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 15, 2016 6:24 PM   in response to: Martin Searancke in response to: Martin Searancke
Martin Searancke wrote:
I am having this issue also but was surprised at how little reference to this problem I could find with a google search.
Has the problem been reported to Embarcadero?

Is XCode 8.1 officially supported by Rad Studio or are we waiting on update 2?

One of the symptoms of this problem is that the "Target" list will not refresh in the IDE for the Simulator. I just get the default list of (iPad, iPhone, iPhone 5).

I feel that every time I open my iOS projects (still mostly working in VCL) I have to hope and prey that things will work.

Its been reported. I don't have the JIRA log but it was out there.

Update 2, not 100% sure. Did not see anything that really mentioned it.

I'll be installing it next few days to find out what new things ill run into.
Martin Searancke

Posts: 53
Registered: 11/22/02
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 16, 2016 7:27 PM   in response to: steven chesser in response to: steven chesser
Update 2, not 100% sure. Did not see anything that really mentioned it.

I just installed Update 2 and the problem remains.
I was not able to find any Update 2 for the PAServer as there was for Update 1. Hopefully there is a new one coming and it just hasnt been posted yet.

Martin

--
Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions
http://www.lightfactory.net
Victor Stoian

Posts: 9
Registered: 6/22/00
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 17, 2016 4:23 AM   in response to: Martin Searancke in response to: Martin Searancke
Martin Searancke wrote:
Update 2, not 100% sure. Did not see anything that really mentioned it.

I just installed Update 2 and the problem remains.
I was not able to find any Update 2 for the PAServer as there was for Update 1. Hopefully there is a new one coming and it just hasnt been posted yet.

Martin

the Update 2 commes with the PAserver dated nov.10 2016 - i guess it's a new version.

Victor
Martin Searancke

Posts: 53
Registered: 11/22/02
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 17, 2016 11:30 AM   in response to: Victor Stoian in response to: Victor Stoian
the Update 2 commes with the PAserver dated nov.10 2016 - i guess it's a new version.

I didnt think to check for a new PAServer in the main installatoion, alas this does not make any difference to the issue.
Both a "refesh" of the deivce list and running the app fails. When I do a refresh of the device list I can see the PAServer running "simulator-exec" but I only ever get the defalt 3 items.
I guess I should submit this problem to the black hole of QA - sigh.

Martin

--
Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions
http://www.lightfactory.net
Nader Shalabi

Posts: 2
Registered: 5/11/00
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 18, 2016 1:36 PM   in response to: Martin Searancke in response to: Martin Searancke
Martin Searancke wrote:
the Update 2 commes with the PAserver dated nov.10 2016 - i guess it's a new version.

I didnt think to check for a new PAServer in the main installatoion, alas this does not make any difference to the issue.
Both a "refesh" of the deivce list and running the app fails. When I do a refresh of the device list I can see the PAServer running "simulator-exec" but I only ever get the defalt 3 items.
I guess I should submit this problem to the black hole of QA - sigh.

Martin

--
Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions
http://www.lightfactory.ne

Confirmed, even after update 2, I still have the same issue!!! I did the update just to resolve this issue :(
J Kelly Wilkerson

Posts: 2
Registered: 9/1/01
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 19, 2016 3:19 PM   in response to: Nader Shalabi in response to: Nader Shalabi
Nader Shalabi wrote:
Martin Searancke wrote:
the Update 2 commes with the PAserver dated nov.10 2016 - i guess it's a new version.

I didnt think to check for a new PAServer in the main installatoion, alas this does not make any difference to the issue.
Both a "refesh" of the deivce list and running the app fails. When I do a refresh of the device list I can see the PAServer running "simulator-exec" but I only ever get the defalt 3 items.
I guess I should submit this problem to the black hole of QA - sigh.

Martin

--
Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions
http://www.lightfactory.ne

Confirmed, even after update 2, I still have the same issue!!! I did the update just to resolve this issue :(

Same issue with me. However, it was working fine with Update 1 on my end. Then, after migrating to Update 2, iOS Simulator targets remain the default 3. I can push to the physical device, so it must be an issue related to the simulator. Like others have posted, I also have tried reinstalling the PAServer and have tried on multiple machines that were working on Update 1.

Daniel Jenne

Posts: 1
Registered: 2/19/07
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 21, 2016 7:04 AM   in response to: steven chesser in response to: steven chesser
Hi,

Well, I actually study this problem. IDE discover list of available simulator using command:

/Applications/PAServer-18.0.app/Contents/MacOS/sim6x -v

With Xcode 8.0 works fine, but with Xcode 8.1 it throw exception:

Abort trap: 6

So it is apparently problem of PAServer's utility sim6x.

Regards
Daniel

EDIT:

Here is a workaround:

Just download and install Xcode 8.0 and that's it :).

1. Close Xcode if running
2. Rename /Applications/Xcode.app to /Applications/Xcode_8.1.app
3. Enter the admin password when prompted
4. Download Xcode 8 here: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
5. Double click the Xcode_8.xip to unarchive Xcode application, move it to Application folder

Edited by: Daniel Jenne on Nov 22, 2016 2:36 AM
costa basil

Posts: 44
Registered: 4/8/08
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 30, 2016 10:59 PM   in response to: steven chesser in response to: steven chesser
Just installed 10.1 Update 2. I have the same issue, i.e. I get Session Ended. Very disappointing for a product out-of-the-box.
costa basil

Posts: 44
Registered: 4/8/08
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 30, 2016 11:40 PM   in response to: costa basil in response to: costa basil
To run the app in the simulator I did this:
1. Ran xcode 8.1 and went to Xcode -> Open developer tool -> Simulator.
2. Opened a terminal window.
cd /Users/costa/PAServer/scratch-dir/costa-MyProfile where MyProfile is the name of my profile. Your's is very likely different
3. Installed the app with:
xcrun simctl install 63573ACD-E77B-4DE0-9E7F-C109F6CD0A73 TestIOS01.app
where 63573ACD-E77B-4DE0-9E7F-C109F6CD0A73 is the UUID of iphone 6. You can view the list of devices using:
xcrun simctl list.

I haven't been able to run the simulator from the command line. I tried the boot option but it didn't seem to do anything.

So, after I make a change, I run Deploy in Delphi, go back to the terminal window, run the install command, go to the simulator and click on the icon.

Frustrating :-(

One weird thing: xcode keeps disappearing - wtf??
Gian Mario Bene...

Posts: 1
Registered: 7/27/04
Re: iOS 10.1 / Xcode 8.1 Simulator not working "Session Ended"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 6, 2017 2:58 AM   in response to: costa basil in response to: costa basil
In My case I solved the problem in this way:
1) Go in Project->Target platform
2) Open iOS Simulator Node of the Project Manager Tree structure
3) Select Target Items
4) Right clic on Target Items and clic on Refresh voice of the local Menu: in this way all possible device registered in Xcode simulator will appear in the list and this solve the Id Problem of simctl: "/usr/bin/xcrun" simctl install ... (Error 117) Usage: simctl install <device> <path>"

5) Select the correct device to simulate the app and run (F9) it

Those are my installed program versions:
Xcode: Version 8.3.2 (8E2002)
PAServer: Platform Assistant Server Version 10.0.1.23
Delphi: 10.2

I hope that my contribution can also be helpful to other people who have had the same problem

Good day to all

Mario

costa basil wrote:
To run the app in the simulator I did this:
1. Ran xcode 8.1 and went to Xcode -> Open developer tool -> Simulator.
2. Opened a terminal window.
cd /Users/costa/PAServer/scratch-dir/costa-MyProfile where MyProfile is the name of my profile. Your's is very likely different
3. Installed the app with:
xcrun simctl install 63573ACD-E77B-4DE0-9E7F-C109F6CD0A73 TestIOS01.app
where 63573ACD-E77B-4DE0-9E7F-C109F6CD0A73 is the UUID of iphone 6. You can view the list of devices using:
xcrun simctl list.

I haven't been able to run the simulator from the command line. I tried the boot option but it didn't seem to do anything.

So, after I make a change, I run Deploy in Delphi, go back to the terminal window, run the install command, go to the simulator and click on the icon.

Frustrating :-(

One weird thing: xcode keeps disappearing - wtf??

Edited by: Gian Mario Benetti on Aug 6, 2017 3:04 AM
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02