Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)



Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Jan 20, 2018 7:56 AM Last Post By: Markus Humm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 9, 2018 11:02 AM
Hello,

I'm using Thunderbird as newsreader (no advertisements for other readers
necessary Rudy, for my use it mostly works fine, except now) and since 1-2 days
it no longer fetches new posts.

I removed the Firemonkey group now and re added it. When I try to download
messages he says that the group contains 350xx (don't remember the exact figure)
messages. When I opt to only download 6 or less this works, when I try to download
7 or more it fails and I cannot properly retry downloading messages (even when I opted
to not mark all others read, I guess it would download messages newer than those 7
from the last attempts, but posting frequency in that group isn't high enough or I would
have to add some test post via webfrontent).

Any suggestions?
Any known issues?
I can see that there are newer posts and in the web frontend I can also read those.

Greetings

Markus
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,448
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 9, 2018 11:49 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird as newsreader (no advertisements for other
readers necessary Rudy, for my use it mostly works fine, except now)
and since 1-2 days it no longer fetches new posts.

NNTP is working fine for me, using Xananews. Been getting new posts
today just fine.

Yesterday, there was a period of time where Xana was having trouble
posting messages, so it got stuck in a queue loop posting them over and
over, but the server was actually posting them (so I had to go into the
web interface and delete the duplicates).

No troubles today.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 10, 2018 11:18 AM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Markus Humm wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird as newsreader (no advertisements for other
readers necessary Rudy, for my use it mostly works fine, except now)
and since 1-2 days it no longer fetches new posts.

NNTP is working fine for me, using Xananews. Been getting new posts
today just fine.

Yesterday, there was a period of time where Xana was having trouble
posting messages, so it got stuck in a queue loop posting them over and
over, but the server was actually posting them (so I had to go into the
web interface and delete the duplicates).

No troubles today.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Hello,

no, still doesn't work for me.
When I delete the group (this happens for all groups on that server, but it doesn't happen for those
on the JEDI server or on the Inno Setup one) and re-add it, it finds quite a log ot new messages,
but it never properly downloads them. Statusbar shortly flasses as if he's attempting to do so,
but he fails.

When I tell him just to download the last 100 messages (the last one works btw.!), then statusbar
flashes a message about downloading message 1 to 81 (!) but he never does this and when I retry
he doesn't either.

When I opted to download only the last message, retrying the download (because that one
gets downloaded) doesn't bring any new messages.

Greetings

Markus
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,448
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 10, 2018 12:14 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:

no, still doesn't work for me.

Then I suggest you get a better NNTP reader. Thunderbird is
notoriously buggy.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Bernd Maierhofer

Posts: 161
Registered: 9/27/99
Re: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 10, 2018 11:02 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:

Hello,

I'm using Thunderbird as newsreader (no advertisements for other
readers necessary Rudy, for my use it mostly works fine, except now)
and since 1-2 days it no longer fetches new posts.

I removed the Firemonkey group now and re added it. When I try to
download messages he says that the group contains 350xx (don't
remember the exact figure) messages. When I opt to only download 6 or
less this works, when I try to download 7 or more it fails and I
cannot properly retry downloading messages (even when I opted to not
mark all others read, I guess it would download messages newer than
those 7 from the last attempts, but posting frequency in that group
isn't high enough or I would have to add some test post via
webfrontent).

Any suggestions?
Any known issues?
I can see that there are newer posts and in the web frontend I can
also read those.

Greetings

Markus

Using XanaNews + having no problems so far. Although there seem to be
very few messages/posts the last days.

HTH Bernd

--
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 20, 2018 7:56 AM   in response to: Bernd Maierhofer in response to: Bernd Maierhofer
Hello,

could you do me a small favour and do a little test for me?

1. back up your local Xananews message base
2. remove one of the groups which have messages from 2018 and remove all local files of your XN installation regarding this group.
3. Subscribe to that group again and download messages.

Does XN download all messages, even the newest ones from 2018?
(you might use this group for testing ;-) )

Greetings

Markus
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: NNTP issues with the Delphi Firemonkey group (and most likely others)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 20, 2018 2:55 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Hello,

I filed a bugreport at Thunberbird's bugtracking system now:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1431800

They claim the XOVER database on the EMBT server is broken.

Greetings

Markus
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02