Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi 10, Data Drivers



Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Nov 23, 2015 3:31 PM Last Post By: quinn wildman Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Jim Sawyer

Posts: 214
Registered: 1/3/10
Delphi 10, Data Drivers
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 11, 2015 11:44 AM
I am considering upgrading from Delphi 7 to the new Delphi 10. What, if any, database drivers are included in delphi 10, or do I have to buy them separately? Also, which database would be best for large tables. I currently use Visual Foxpro data with the CodeBase driver and have some files with several million records to convert. How can I get educated on the data drivers available in order to decide which I would like to use?

Thanks,

Jim Sawyer, DataWare
quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: Delphi 10, Data Drivers
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 11, 2015 1:55 PM   in response to: Jim Sawyer in response to: Jim Sawyer
Our premier data connectivity solution is called FireDac. You can learn
about it here: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac.

The data connectivity you get depends on the edition of Delphi you
purchase. If you purchase the Professional edition of Delphi you get
connectivity to Microsoft Access database, SQLite database, InterBase
ToGo / IBLite, InterBase on localhost, MySQL Embedded, MySQL Server on
localhost, Advantage Database local engine, PostgreSQL on localhost,
Firebird Embedded, and Firebird on localhost. If you purchase either
Enterprise edition of Delphi or the FireDac add-on for Delphi
Professional then you also get InterBase, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server,
Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Firebird, Access,
Informix, DataSnap. There is also ODBC connectivity which can get you to
anything with an ODBC driver.

If you have further questions regarding FireDac, I recommend you post in
the FireDac newsgroup.

Discussing which database is a large discussion. Most databases can
fulfill your minimalist requirements so. However, we'd love to have your
business in our InterBase product. It scales from a free embedded single
user version to a multi-user client server version with unlimited users
that uses multiple cores. InterBase is cross platform and the same code
can access databases on iOS, Android, OSX, Windows 32 bit and Windows 64
bit.

Delphi 10 includes a developer edition of InterBase XE7.

If you have further questions specific to InterBase I recommend you post
in one of InterBase groups.

Finally, I recommend you start with the trial edition download of Delphi
10. Everything I have discussed above is available in it for 30 days.

Jim Sawyer wrote:
I am considering upgrading from Delphi 7 to the new Delphi 10. What, if any, database drivers are included in delphi 10, or do I have to buy them separately? Also, which database would be best for large tables. I currently use Visual Foxpro data with the CodeBase driver and have some files with several million records to convert. How can I get educated on the data drivers available in order to decide which I would like to use?

Thanks,

Jim Sawyer, DataWare
Jim Sawyer

Posts: 214
Registered: 1/3/10
Re: Delphi 10, Data Drivers
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 11, 2015 3:48 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Are saying that the drivers named below are included with the product? Or will
I have to buy the driver separately from Delphi? I just need to know how much
money I will have to spend.

Thanks,
Jim Sawyer

quinn wildman wrote:
Our premier data connectivity solution is called FireDac. You can learn
about it here: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac.

The data connectivity you get depends on the edition of Delphi you
purchase. If you purchase the Professional edition of Delphi you get
connectivity to Microsoft Access database, SQLite database, InterBase
ToGo / IBLite, InterBase on localhost, MySQL Embedded, MySQL Server on
localhost, Advantage Database local engine, PostgreSQL on localhost,
Firebird Embedded, and Firebird on localhost. If you purchase either
Enterprise edition of Delphi or the FireDac add-on for Delphi
Professional then you also get InterBase, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server,
Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Firebird, Access,
Informix, DataSnap. There is also ODBC connectivity which can get you to
anything with an ODBC driver.

If you have further questions regarding FireDac, I recommend you post in
the FireDac newsgroup.

Discussing which database is a large discussion. Most databases can
fulfill your minimalist requirements so. However, we'd love to have your
business in our InterBase product. It scales from a free embedded single
user version to a multi-user client server version with unlimited users
that uses multiple cores. InterBase is cross platform and the same code
can access databases on iOS, Android, OSX, Windows 32 bit and Windows 64
bit.

Delphi 10 includes a developer edition of InterBase XE7.

If you have further questions specific to InterBase I recommend you post
in one of InterBase groups.

Finally, I recommend you start with the trial edition download of Delphi
10. Everything I have discussed above is available in it for 30 days.

Jim Sawyer wrote:
I am considering upgrading from Delphi 7 to the new Delphi 10. What, if any, database drivers are included in delphi 10, or do I have to buy them separately? Also, which database would be best for large tables. I currently use Visual Foxpro data with the CodeBase driver and have some files with several million records to convert. How can I get educated on the data drivers available in order to decide which I would like to use?

Thanks,

Jim Sawyer, DataWare
quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: Delphi 10, Data Drivers
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 12, 2015 7:22 AM   in response to: Jim Sawyer in response to: Jim Sawyer
Jim Sawyer wrote:
Are saying that the drivers named below are included with the product? Or will
I have to buy the driver separately from Delphi? I just need to know how much
money I will have to spend.

It depends on what edition you buy. If you purchase the starter edition
you have none. If you purchase the professional edition, then you get
the drivers I listed as being included with the Professional edition. If
you purchase the Enterprise edition, or the Professional edition with
FireDac add-on pack, then you get the drivers I listed as being included
when you purchase the Enterprise edition or the Professional edition
with the FireDac add-on pack.

I strongly encourage you to visit
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac as it is all
spelled out there. In fact, most of what I wrote was a copy and paste
from that page.
Jim Sawyer

Posts: 214
Registered: 1/3/10
Re: Delphi 10, Data Drivers
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 23, 2015 2:49 PM   in response to: Jim Sawyer in response to: Jim Sawyer
Am I correct in understanding that if I purchase Delphi 10 Enterprise, Firebird is included, and also InterBase with capability to design large client/server relational database is included such that I don't have to buy anything extra? Also, what is a recommendation for a good tutorial for learning interbase? I would be going there with nothing but 20 years of visual foxpro database experience. It has got to be a culture shock!

Thanks,
Jim Sawyer

Jim Sawyer wrote:
Are saying that the drivers named below are included with the product? Or will
I have to buy the driver separately from Delphi? I just need to know how much
money I will have to spend.

Thanks,
Jim Sawyer

quinn wildman wrote:
Our premier data connectivity solution is called FireDac. You can learn
about it here: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac.

The data connectivity you get depends on the edition of Delphi you
purchase. If you purchase the Professional edition of Delphi you get
connectivity to Microsoft Access database, SQLite database, InterBase
ToGo / IBLite, InterBase on localhost, MySQL Embedded, MySQL Server on
localhost, Advantage Database local engine, PostgreSQL on localhost,
Firebird Embedded, and Firebird on localhost. If you purchase either
Enterprise edition of Delphi or the FireDac add-on for Delphi
Professional then you also get InterBase, SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server,
Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, SQL Anywhere, Advantage DB, Firebird, Access,
Informix, DataSnap. There is also ODBC connectivity which can get you to
anything with an ODBC driver.

If you have further questions regarding FireDac, I recommend you post in
the FireDac newsgroup.

Discussing which database is a large discussion. Most databases can
fulfill your minimalist requirements so. However, we'd love to have your
business in our InterBase product. It scales from a free embedded single
user version to a multi-user client server version with unlimited users
that uses multiple cores. InterBase is cross platform and the same code
can access databases on iOS, Android, OSX, Windows 32 bit and Windows 64
bit.

Delphi 10 includes a developer edition of InterBase XE7.

If you have further questions specific to InterBase I recommend you post
in one of InterBase groups.

Finally, I recommend you start with the trial edition download of Delphi
10. Everything I have discussed above is available in it for 30 days.

Jim Sawyer wrote:
I am considering upgrading from Delphi 7 to the new Delphi 10. What, if any, database drivers are included in delphi 10, or do I have to buy them separately? Also, which database would be best for large tables. I currently use Visual Foxpro data with the CodeBase driver and have some files with several million records to convert. How can I get educated on the data drivers available in order to decide which I would like to use?

Thanks,

Jim Sawyer, DataWare
quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: Delphi 10, Data Drivers
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 23, 2015 3:31 PM   in response to: Jim Sawyer in response to: Jim Sawyer
Jim Sawyer wrote:
Am I correct in understanding that if I purchase Delphi 10 Enterprise, Firebird is included, and also InterBase with capability to design large client/server relational database is included such that I don't have to buy anything extra? Also, what is a recommendation for a good tutorial for learning interbase? I would be going there with nothing but 20 years of visual foxpro database experience. It has got to be a culture shock!

Yes, complete FireBird and InterBase connectivity are included with the
Enterprise edition.

For learning InterBase you might want to start with either the InterBase
quick start or InterBase Labs Tutorial.

InterBase Quick start:
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/InterBase/XE7/en/InterBase_Quick_Start

InterBase Labs Tutorial: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/interbase-labs

For other InterBase questions you may want to visit the forums dedicated
to InterBase.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02