Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 7 - Last Post: Feb 1, 2018 11:14 PM Last Post By: Peter Below Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Enrico Pergola

Posts: 32
Registered: 7/15/04
Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 18, 2018 12:39 PM
Hi

When we print with the printer.begindoc and write to the printer canvas and terminate with printer.enddoc, what is sent to the printer? I thought I understood it is sent a bitmap (not a series of characters). I have a problem printing a job correctly to Epson receipt printers. In w7 all works fine (the job contains Arial fonts and Courier New fonts of various sizes and they show well on the printout). On a PC with w8, the same app prints to the same printers but the printout is
Totally unrelated to what it prints with W7. The printers ignore the Windows fonts and use the resident fonts. If a bitmap is sent, how can the printer convert the text to use resident fonts?
Any idea?
--
E.P.
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 18, 2018 11:04 PM   in response to: Enrico Pergola in response to: Enrico Pergola
Enrico Pergola wrote:

Hi

When we print with the printer.begindoc and write to the printer
canvas and terminate with printer.enddoc, what is sent to the
printer? I thought I understood it is sent a bitmap (not a series of
characters).

No, it usually sends characters, at least to the installed printer
driver. What gets send to the physical printer depends on the driver.
Your issue sounds like a printer driver problem. See if you can find a
driver for the printer that is certified for Windows 8.

I have a problem printing a job correctly to Epson
receipt printers. In w7 all works fine (the job contains Arial fonts
and Courier New fonts of various sizes and they show well on the
printout). On a PC with w8, the same app prints to the same printers
but the printout is Totally unrelated to what it prints with W7. The
printers ignore the Windows fonts and use the resident fonts. If a
bitmap is sent, how can the printer convert the text to use resident
fonts? Any idea?


--
Peter Below
TeamB

Enrico Pergola

Posts: 32
Registered: 7/15/04
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 19, 2018 1:58 PM   in response to: Enrico Pergola in response to: Enrico Pergola
Thanks Peter. The problem is that the printer driver I installed from the epson site says it is good for windows 7,8,10. But It does not work as expected.

--
E.P.
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 20, 2018 1:04 AM   in response to: Enrico Pergola in response to: Enrico Pergola
Enrico Pergola wrote:

Thanks Peter. The problem is that the printer driver I installed from
the epson site says it is good for windows 7,8,10. But It does not
work as expected.

The next thing to check would be the configuration for the printer and
compare it with the configuration on the Win7 system where things work
as expected. Some drivers can be configured to always use their
build-in fonts, for example, or have options to replace Windows fonts
with build-in fonts. Call up the printer properties dialog from the
Windows printer applet and see what you have available there.

--
Peter Below
TeamB
Enrico Pergola

Posts: 32
Registered: 7/15/04
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 30, 2018 5:36 PM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Thanks again Peter. I did every check you suggested. The settings in W8 are identical to the ones in W7.
What I can not wxplain is that if I print from say notepad Arial size 30, that prints fine.
My app prints using The printer Canvas and uses manly Arial and Courier New, but whe it prints, the printer uses the resident fonts, ignoring what fonts the print job is sending.

--
E.P.
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 30, 2018 11:12 PM   in response to: Enrico Pergola in response to: Enrico Pergola
Enrico Pergola wrote:

Thanks again Peter. I did every check you suggested. The settings in
W8 are identical to the ones in W7. What I can not wxplain is that
if I print from say notepad Arial size 30, that prints fine. My app
prints using The printer Canvas and uses manly Arial and Courier New,
but whe it prints, the printer uses the resident fonts, ignoring what
fonts the print job is sending.

I have no further ideas on this problem, sorry.

--
Peter Below
TeamB
Enrico Pergola

Posts: 32
Registered: 7/15/04
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 1, 2018 11:40 AM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Ok. Do you know if there is a way (in Delphi) to do 1 or both of these:
1. list the fonts available to the selected printer?
Sory, I found this already.
2. Force the system to download the soft fonts (system fonts) to the printer.
Thanks
P.S Are you aware of a different way fonts are treated in 64 bit? (the O.S. is 8.1 64 bit)

--
E.P.

Edited by: Enrico Pergola on Feb 1, 2018 11:54 AM

Edited by: Enrico Pergola on Feb 1, 2018 11:56 AM
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: Unwanted resident fonts whne printing [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 1, 2018 11:14 PM   in response to: Enrico Pergola in response to: Enrico Pergola
Enrico Pergola wrote:

Ok. Do you know if there is a way (in Delphi) to do 1 or both of
these: 1. list the fonts available to the selected printer?
Sory, I found this already.
2. Force the system to download the soft fonts (system fonts) to the
printer. Thanks
P.S Are you aware of a different way fonts are treated in 64 bit?
(the O.S. is 8.1 64 bit)

It has been more than a decade that I really had to delve into Windows
printing, so my knowledge in this area is seriously out of date, sorry.
These days I usually compose a HTML or Word document in code and let
the system worry about printing it, if the user really needs a printout.

--
Peter Below
TeamB
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02